Re: ISO-8859-16

On 28/07/2001, 20:19:26, David Starner wrote:
> From: Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă <tgakic@sg10.chem.tue.nl>
> > This charset is the only one where Romanians can find their
> > letters from alphabet.
>
> Among Linux locale charsets, utf-8 also has those character (as linux-utf8
> pointed out).

Yes. I meant that 8859-16 is the only one from 8859-x series
supporting Romanian.

> > My question is if you consider to change the default encoding
> > for Romanian language.
>
> It's hard for us to judge, as there's no debian-ro group.

I asked on the debian user mailing list if there are other
romanians using debian. I thing there are 3 or 4 in total.
I joined recently the RTFS mailing list (Romanian Translators
for Free Software), we are many Romanians there with interest
in this matter (romanian locale, romanian keyboard, etc.)
which are not specific to debian.

I have no problem to ask for a debian-ro group, but I don't
know how many Romanians will join it.

> I believe we
> usually follow the glibc upstream here. The main problems are, as you
> pointed out on linux-utf8, that Romanians usually use ISO-8859-1 or -2.

Yes, but this is not a solution. ISO-8859-1 is used by those Romanian
who don't care or don't know to set locale. ISO-8859-2 is bringing
only one letter extra for romanians (a_breve), while ISO-8859-16
is bringing also s_comma_below, t_comma_below, and 4 quotation marks.

> It's
> important to maintain consistency with what people use than correctness.

Romanians and correctness are not words to be put toghether. I newer
knew an other nation to care less about it's own values.

> Also, any Romanian man pages need to be fixed before this change. (I
> understand woody man will do charset conversions, so a charset line is all
> that needs to be added.)

In my knowledge, the few romanian  man pages are is ASCII with no
diacritics. See http://www.ro.kde.org/linuxman/index.html (romanian
only), but it says there:
-  nu folositi diacritice
which mean to don't use diacritics but plain ascii.

Ionel