Re: Towards better euro support in Debian

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:

> I sent last week a testing program to the debian-user-spanish
> mailing list in order to see how the euro support was amongst
> Debian users in order to try to automate it's inclusion in
> the user-es package (so that users do not have to tinker with
> strange configuration file).

Hi !

I'm doing the same for french users (but using T. Kubota's language-env
package plus a user-friendly documentation in french), in the frame of
"how to correctly configure your debian system for french".

I'd like to know : is your package for debian woody or both stable &
woody ? What I'm trying to do is to provide a solution for both systems.
I suggest euro-makers on this list take contact with each others to give
the solutions they propose to their users.

I've made a small documentation available at
http://www.limsi.fr/Individu/nico/debian/debian-french.html/
BUT ONLY IN FRENCH (I'm sorry, I had no time to translate it).

> I was surprised to see that many users did not have euro support
> and didn't know how to include it. Since this seems to be
> a general problem for Debian users, I have drafted an
> 'euro-support' package. The idea of the package is to:
>
> a) provide information on how to test and do it himself
> b) automatically add euro configuration to a user setup

Think that the "adding euro" problem will only appear once. I mean,
within 2 months, everybody will need to have it. As a consequence, I
think Debian should give the users a system with euro for europeans
users, don't you think so ? IMO, this means :
- making sure that the "regular" installation of woody makes euro
accessible to anybody
- proposing an extension for potato with euro support.

The second point is one of the reasons why I'm trying to use T. Kubota's
package, wich totally & automatically backportable to potato. However,
if your package does the same, I'm very intersted in looking at it.

> I would appreciate any kind of help both in improving the
> documentation (please submit patches against the sgml sources
> found in the source package) and code for the automatic
> configuration of systems to the euro symbol. I have some ideas
> already but it's difficult to code when you do not know what
> changes might the user have already done to configuration files....

As far as I've seen, it is a very hard task. I had to make a very
complete documentation to answer all user's specific questions.
Plus I believe the solution you adopt depend on the language you use. OK
for iso8859-1 languages (spanish, german, french for instance), but what
about other languages.

Please to meet other "euro-friendly" maintainers, ;-)
--
Nicolas SABOURET
LIMSI-CNRS, BP133, 91403 Orsay, France