Re: localized Packages and debconf templates

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 11:05:11PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 07:37:19PM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
>
> > debconf way's advantage is that maintainer is in control and if he
> > understands the translation at least a bit, he can spot mistakes and
> > translator's misunderstandings (happened to me).
> > With centralized Packages files, maintainer is out of the way.
>
> disaccord:
>  - the maintainer don't have really controll of the translated debconf
>    templates. He don't speaking >3 languages and he can only get the
>    templates and include this or not.

that is true, however, it happened to me that I got a german
template, and although I have only very basic knowledge of german,
I was able to spot that the translator clearly misunderstood
the english original.

>  - He delay only the translation without any improvement.

Not really. Under my (hmm... not proposal, since I am not proposing it)
suggestion, all the work goes as usual. Only some packages have
additional translation from maintainers, and these translations needn't
be supplied by translating teams

>  - a maintainer is not out of the way with centralized translations.
>    He can translated this own Packages and add his languages in the
>    central database.

which means additional work for him...

> I see no pros, but many cons with a decentral translation.
>
> > As for debconf templates, they would benefit from centralized
> > database too, but unfortunately they _have to_ be present in a
> > package, so I see no clear way of improving current situation.
>
> If we have a centralized database for the debconf templates, the live
> of the translators whould be easier. But we don't have it, and we must
> play this game without it.

Or create it :-)

Btw another thought just crossed my mind: in localized distributions,
what would happen when a crowd of uninformed users start sending
bugreports in their native languages? Good-bye BTS....