Re: ISO-8859-16

From: Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă <tgakic@sg10.chem.tue.nl>
> This charset is the only one where Romanians can find their
> letters from alphabet.

Among Linux locale charsets, utf-8 also has those character (as linux-utf8
pointed out).

> My question is if you consider to change the default encoding
> for Romanian language.

It's hard for us to judge, as there's no debian-ro group. I believe we
usually follow the glibc upstream here. The main problems are, as you
pointed out on linux-utf8, that Romanians usually use ISO-8859-1 or -2. It's
important to maintain consistency with what people use than correctness.
Also, any Romanian man pages need to be fixed before this change. (I
understand woody man will do charset conversions, so a charset line is all
that needs to be added.)

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"The pig -- belongs -- to _all_ mankind!" - Invader Zim