Re: Is there anybody interested in supporting GB18030 in debian?

Hello Suzhe!

Nice to see you here.  Yes, we are very interested to get zh_CN.GB18030
working in Debian.  I know little about it though.  Could you point us to
some websites where the GB18030 standard is discussed?  Thanks!  (I'm sure
that Yu Guanghui, Zhao Wei, hashao etc. would be especially interested
too.)

On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, suzhe wrote:
>   Yes, I have already done a primitive GB18030 patch for XFree86 4.0.2, and
> can let Gnome environment run under zh_CN.GB18030 locale, most of the
> gnome program can display and edit GB18030 encoded text correctly. Thanks
> gnome/gtk guys for their excellent work!

That is wonderful!  Thanks for your hard work!  Could you please send your
patch to us (and especially to Debian's XFree86 maintainer)?  And I'm sure
the XFree86 maintainers would love to see your patch too.

>   But, There are still lots of problems in it. The most serious problem is
> KDE/QT seems do not support zh_CN.GB18030 locale.

KDE/QT seems to use their own locale files...

>   And there are still many programs do not have fully i18n support.
> Lots of program which support CJK encoding are using its own way to
> deal with it, so GB18030 is also a problem for these programs.

And often that is still the case for zh_CN.GB2312 and zh_TW.Big5, but yes,
we will need to deal with them one step at a time.

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada