ls and character sets

Not long ago I reported a wishlist-bug for ls (#56569) that
there was no support for custom character sets.
The problem is that ls prints filenames with national characters
like 'åäö' as '???'. I would like to do something like this:

  ls --character-set=ISO_8859-1

I was asked what these custom character sets do that locales
don't.

So now I wonder: is there any locale that acts like the
default locale, but with ISO-8859-1 character set support?
Can I make one myself? Or is there another solution for the
problem described above? I don't want to use a national
locale, simply because I don't want to use special collation
order, date format and stuff like that.

Oskar Liljeblad (osk@hem.passagen.se)