Re: groff vs jgroff (Re: man-db locale support)

At 01 Oct 1999 04:51:41 +0900,
Changwoo Ryu <cwryu@debian.org> wrote:

> > Bold characters are represented as
> >  [1st byte of char] \b [1st byte of char] [2nd byte of char] \b [2nd byte of char]
> > and it's bad way for EUC-JP.
>
> I don't see why it's so bad.  I have no problem to read Korean man
> pages like the above one, in hanterm.  Hmm..  It seems that hanterm
> does some workaround for this.

Hmm, maybe, this might be some reason in Japanese encodings.
For Japanese, there are at least 3 major encodings currently used,
which are ISO-2022-JP (or called simply JIS), EUC-JP and Shift-JP.
Japanese terminal emulators try to detect these encoding automatically
however, EUC-JP and Shift-JP are too difficult to distinguish because
some part of codepoint space are overlapped.  I'm not sure, but I think
the reason that the above is broken for EUC-JP might be such kind of
autodetection code of Japanese encoding.

Anyway, in addition to this, groff doesn't aware of multibyte characters,
so it happen to wrap at middle of multibyte characters, doesn't it?
gorff may insert newline between 1st byte of char and 2nd byte of char.

Regards,
Fumitoshi UKAI