Re: man-db locale support

On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 09:56:10PM +0400, Michael Sobolev wrote:
> Well, I checked it and it works.  What to do?

you mean you checked your patch.
Did you checked also man? I see from your message that your pach was
against 69k
That version have the behaviour I described.

>From the latest messages on debian-i18n you see that it worked for the
japanese.

maybe the problem is only in the "usage".

They put the japanese pages in /usr/share/man/ja/manX and set
LANG=ja_JP.ujis .
man in 69k and 69m finds it. I tested it this way:

$ LANG=ja_JP.ujis man -d apropos 2>&1
/bin/gzip -dc /usr/share/man/ja/man1/apropos.1.gz > /tmp/zmanblt1qq
trying command: /usr/bin/zsoelim '/tmp/zmanblt1qq' | /usr/bin/nroff
-mandoc -Tnippon | { export MAN_PN LESS; MAN_PN='apropos(1)';

Now what (I understand) you want is to do the opposite:

put some manpages in /usr/share/man/ru_RU.XXXX/manX , other in
/usr/share/man/ru_RU.YYYY/manX and set LANG to "ru", and have man find
pages from both sides.
Is this correct? Did I understood well? (english is not my mother
language, nor yours, so it's not impossible that I get the wrong
meaning).

Well; is this what we want?
If so, it shouldn't be impossible to have _both_ behaviours at the same
time.
What I need to know is what type of settings man need to pass to the
commands in order to display these different charsets. For example,
japanese needs to pass -Tnippon instead of -Tlatin1 and set LESSCHARSET
to "ja" instead of "latin1".

fab