Re: man-db locale support

<tihonov@ffke-campus.mipt.ru> writes:

>    Tagging character set is not necessary to convert between koi8-r
>    and iso-8859-5 ?
>
> it is necessary, of course.  what I wanted to say is that koi8-r to
> iso-8859-5 transcoding is not always possible.

s/necessary/enough/  (So poor english.  :< )

It is not always possible to convert from euc-kr to utf-8, either.
But in practice, it's always possible.  It's because the EUC-KR only
code values are hardly used, and we can avoid to use them.

How about the Cyrillic case?  Isn't the transcoding possible for any
reasonable Cyrillic character?  If not, then I wonder why iso-8859-5
is used for Cyrillic; the charset couldn't cover the reasonable
Cyrillic characters.

--
Changwoo RYU