Re: Uploaded ja-trans 0.3 (source all) to jp

I hope you don't mind that I've CC'd debian-i18n as well as the
Japanese coordinator at the translation project.

>At 19 Aug 1999 17:18:56 -0400,
>Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> wrote:
>>
>> Fumitoshi UKAI <ukai@ukai.org> writes:
>> >  ja-trans   - Japanese gettext message files
>>
>> What exactly is this package?  If it's just PO files or the like,
>> should that go upstream to the translation project
>> <URL:http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard/po/HTML/> ?

>Yes, this is just MO files for Japanese. This is a Japanese variant of
>zh-trans.  I agree this should go upstream and I'll request translators
>of this PO files to send to the translation project, however, it takes
>too much time to merge in actual upstream, so I'd like to have
>ja-trans package in potato until all PO files merge into upstream.

I understand.  My intention is that we take every effort to ensure
that Debian is working to not just improve the situation for Debian
users, but to improve the situation for all free software users.

Thus, I believe, if you upload the file to the translation project,
the TP will be able to hopefully use their existing relationships and
other translated material to the upstream maintainers, and get things
folded in upstream more quickly.

>BTW, I wonder how MO files to be packaged. If all MO files for various
>languages put into one package, it'll be big and it includes many
>unnecessary MO files for many users. Is this acceptable?
>On the other hand, if every MO files put into each language's package,
>user can select minimum set of package of required language, but
>number of packages become more and more.
>I think we might have some policy or guidelines about MO files.

I guess it's acceptable but definately just a temporary workaround and
non-optimal.  Of course, ultimately, the translations are folded in
upstream and then that upstream package is included in Debian and all
our problems are solved.  Prior to that, you could also file bugs
against the Debian packages to include your translations (and other
stuff from the TP which haven't yet been folded in).  Or just do it
the way you're doing it, and even though it's not optimal, be content
to say, "Well, it's just temporary until the stuff goes upstream.".