Re: How do I control the language used by gtk ?

"J.H.M. Dassen" wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 04, 1999 at 18:20:09 +0900, Ionutz Borcoman wrote:
> >       export LANG=ja_JP.ujis
>
> IIRC, the first "ja" sets the language.
>
> > Everything is OK with the fontset but I have a problem now: the gtk load
> > file dialog is displayed now with Japanese text. How do I force it to
> > use English text ? How do I prevent other applications using Japanese
> > for messages, etc. ?
>
> Have you tried export LC_LANG=en_JP.ujis ?
>
> HTH,
> Ray

Unfortunately it didn't work. I get this:

Gdk-Message: locale not supported by C library

and the labels stops to display any Japanese. Only empty spaces.
I have try first to:

export LANG=en_JP.ujis

and then both:

export LANG=ja_JP.ujis
export LC_LANG=en_JP.ujis

None worked. Only export LANG=ja_JP.ujis alone works.

TIA,

Ionutz