initial font

For a boot floppy I am interested in a space-saving way of getting a
console font with a few extra characters.

Presumably the kernel itself contains some initial font. Can this
initial font be redefined - preferably without recompiling the kernel,
if possible?

Otherwise, is the kernel's initial font universally fixed so that I can
safely add a few characters to it at run time without worring about
incompatible styles? What about the size of the initial font? Is this
guarranteed to be 8x16?

(Basically I'm asking which of those two approaches would be less of a
maintenance hazzard.)

Edmund