Re: dpkg i18n and gettext

> Over the next weeks and months I expect to be un-reorganising dpkg's
> build system to look more like the way it used to.  As part of this
> I'm considering dropping gettext in favour of catgets.
>
> Obviously we can convert old translation files, but I was wondering if
> the people here had any particular other comments about this.

Well, the one that comes to mind is that, unless it has changed *very*
recently, our current libc6 doesn't work properly with catgets and you
need to code around it. The patch is *very* simple and I sent the bug to
Dale ages ago but for some reason he has ignored it. This has meant that man-db,
for example, had to drop catgets for gettext and that tcsh's rules file has
a horrible hack. There may be other stuff involved.

Luis.
--
Luis Francisco Gonzalez <luisgh@cogs.susx.ac.uk>
PGP Fingerprint = F8 B1 13 DE 22 22 94 A1  14 BE 95 8E 49 39 78 76