dpkg i18n and gettext

I'm rather unimpressed with the current state of dpkg's build system,
including the i18n stuff.  I'm also unimpressed by GNU gettext (I
agree with gettext's detractors in favour of catgets).

Over the next weeks and months I expect to be un-reorganising dpkg's
build system to look more like the way it used to.  As part of this
I'm considering dropping gettext in favour of catgets.

Obviously we can convert old translation files, but I was wondering if
the people here had any particular other comments about this.

I'm subscribed to the list, so please don't CC my personal mailbox
with your replies.

Thanks,
Ian.