Re: bashisms and i18n

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Michael Sobolev wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 03, 1998 at 06:15:04PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > [ There could be several ways to split it. I was thinking about a
> >   somewhat radical way of splitting it: We could have a
> >   "gettext-program" package containing just /usr/bin/gettext ].
> I do not think that it is practical: a program that provides a way for
> localization is not localized? :)  /usr/share/locales should be included
> as well.

/usr/bin/gettext is all you need to localize shell scripts. All the
remaining things are optional. I'm thinking about the space constraints in
the base system and the boot floppies. The gettext binary is 16Kb long.
The complete set of .mo files in the gettext package is 220K.

I don't think it would be such a "contradiction", the locales package is
in section admin, not in section base.

Do we want the base system to be fully i18n? If so, then we should
maybe add the locales package to the base system [*]. But its installed
size is 8143K, I don't think we will want to do that...

[*] Every time I install Debian from scracth, I uncomment the line
alias rm='rm -i' in /root/.bashrc, however, this does not work as expected
until I install the locales package, unfortunately.

--
 "02fcd481c6cd3873bdd03a31d102396c" (a truly random sig)