Re: bashisms and i18n

On Thu, Sep 03, 1998 at 02:05:13PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> I think so. It seems we have two possible ways to make a shell script to
> talk "foreign" languages:
>
> The "easy" one:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> export TEXTDOMAIN=fileutils
> echo $"can not change to null group"
> echo $"virtual memory exhausted"
>
> The "portable" one:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> export TEXTDOMAIN=fileutils
> gettext -s "can not change to null group"
> gettext -s "virtual memory exhausted"

I believe that the latter is much better than the former.  As result, what do
you think about splitting gettext package into two?  The one that could still
be called `gettext', while second one could be called something like
`gettext-dev'.  As the names suggest, the first one should only contain gettext
program, localization files, and the second one all the rest: msg*, info files,
and the stuff that comes into different directories under /usr/share?

> Or maybe the right thing to do here is to do everything in C (?)
You mean to rewrite the post*, pre* scripts in C?

--
Mike