Re: Upcoming Debian Releases

On Sep 8, Brian C. White wrote

s|???|debian-i18n@lists.debian.org| probably.

>  9 - One of the things that most people outside the US and UK have to deal
>      with is configuring everything so that non-ASCII characters and other
>      locale specific stuff works right. For example, bash needs a ~/.inputrc
>      so that you write åäö on the command line, instead of getting
>      beeps. Emacs needs some other stuff.  -- Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi>

Please add:
| There is a mailing list for internationalization issues in Debian:
| debian-i18n@lists.debian.org . This list is used e.g. for the Debian
| Keyboard Configuration Project
| (http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-kbd/) which
| amongst other things, deals with providing an easy way to input non-ASCII
| characters.

On Sep 25, Guy Maor wrote
> I've just uploaded readline 2.1-6 which will try /etc/inputrc if
> ~/.inputrc does not exist.

Great. The downside is, it doesn't help in dealing with the problem Lars
noted, as libreadline isn't 8-bit clean by default. Please provide a default
/etc/inputrc that is 8-bit clean, as explained in the the ISO 8859-1
National Character Set FAQ
(ftp://ftp.vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at/pub/8bit/FAQ-ISO-8859-1):

--
UNFAIR  Term applied to advantages enjoyed by other people which we tried
to cheat them out of and didn't manage. See also DISHONESTY, SNEAKY,