Re: Is Broadcom BCM4401-B0 supported?

July 28, 2021 3:12 PM, "João Pedro Malhado" <phlogiston@sapo.pt> wrote:

> Good evening,
>
> I have installed GNU/Hurd on another laptop and I'm struggling to get the
> network to work.

How easy is the installer?  I'd really like to try to install it on a Thinkpad
or some such device that might work.  Do you have a lot of filesystem corruption?
Is it cool to be running the Hurd?

Just replying because I'm bored...I've no idea what I'm talking about.  I'm just
a Hurd enthusiast.  :)

> When doing ifup /dev/eth0 (for a dhcp setup) I'm getting:
>
> fsysopts: /servers/socket/2: -i /dev/eth0 -a 0.0.0.0 -m 255.0.0.0: (ipc/mig) server died
> Error getting interfaces; Translator died
> Can't get list of interfaces.
>
> I attach the output of settrans -fga /dev/netdde /hurd/netdde
>
> lspci identifies the card as
>
> 02:0e.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
>
> and lspci -n
>
> 02:0e.0 0200: 14e4:170c (rev 02)
>
> The package versions are those of the latest installer images which are from
> February:
>
> hurd 1:0.9.git20201127-5
> netdde 0.0.20200330-6
> gnumach 2:1.8+git20201129-4
>
> Is this ethernet card supported?

How old is the card?  I think Broadcam is not the best wifi device, but I'm not positive...