Re: Porting rust

On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 09:00:23PM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Josh Triplett, le lun. 05 nov. 2018 21:02:32 -0800, a ecrit:
> > Speaking with an upstream Rust hat on in addition to a Debian hat:
> > what could Rust do to make life easier for porters?
>
> After Adrian's announce I tried to have a brief look at the Hurd port.
>
> I appreciated a *lot* that the Debian cross-bootstrap way is documented
> and works nicely :)
>
> I am however a bit overwhelmed by the task of filling the
> src/liblibc/src/ os-specific .rs files which basically describe each and
> every structure, function macro etc. provided by the system.  Is there
> no way to generate these from the glibc headers?  Writing them by hand
> is both tedious and error-prone, but I didn't find a porting guide that
> would describe another way.

I'm not an expert in that mechanism, but my understanding is that the
vast majority is shared among multiple systems.

I'd suggest starting with src/liblibc/libc-test and trying to get those
tests running on Hurd, and then doing test-driven development until all
the tests pass.

There probably *should* be a way to autogenerate these, but I don't
think there is. But I wouldn't be surprised if you could rely *heavily*
on the Linux glibc support.