Re: How to identify "running on a Hurd system"?

Narcis Garcia <informatica@actiu.net> writes:

> El 24/08/17 a les 23:12, AlexLikeRock ha escrit:
>> On August 24, 2017 2:53:43 PM GMT-06:00, Christoph Biedl <debian.axhn@manchmal.in-ulm.de> wrote:
>> I agree, GNU/hurd its simple original "GNU"
> Nobody runs the original GNU but evolved operating systems (including
> GNU+Linux, GNU+Hurd, etc.)

The Hurd is the initial/original GNU kernel. Linux came later but was
faster at making something which worked well enough, so GNU used it as
new base.

GNU/Hurd calls it self GNU, because it is GNU software front to back:
Editor->Gnome->Gtk->[X11]->coreutils->kernel->compiler/evaluator

(the above is one possible example of a full GNU system, with the
exception of X11, which is why I set that in brackets)

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein