Re: virtio support

Ritesh Raj Sarraf, on Mon 08 Feb 2016 23:24:30 +0530, wrote:
> When you say "emulated devices work fine", is it as in they kinda work
> ?

They just work.

> Sorry. I ask this because I have my Debian GNU/Hurd setup, that at
> times, just breaks apart during upgrades.

What are the symptoms?  There may be simply memory management issues for
instance.

> 1) I'm using the rtl8139 network driver emulated with qemu. I fetched
> some data (around 200 MiB) over the network from the host (Linux)
> machine. The network speed I got was average 250 KiB/Sec

That's very odd. Our buildd daemons typically get several MiB/sec from
the Internet. Do you have KVM really enabled?

> 2) For the block driver, I'm still on IDE. I believe reading some
> documentation from you that now SATA is supported. But the last time I
> tried with SATA, things did not work that great. With IDE drives, a
> common problem is I/O Throughput.

SATA won't be better: the protocol is the same, only the channel is
different.

> But more than that, during (big) upgrades, most of the times the file
> system or block translator hangs.

That's most probably rather issues in memory management or ext2fs. How
much memory did you give to the VM?

(I'm surprised to see such reports, when buildds do go fine for days
long installing/removing software)

Samuel