Re: virtio support

On Mon, 2016-02-08 at 16:54 +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Ritesh Raj Sarraf, on Mon 08 Feb 2016 19:09:49 +0530, wrote:
> > Does the current state of Debian GNU/HUrd support virtio drivers ?
>
> No, the emulated devices work fine for now, we haven't taken the time
> write virtio drivers.

Hello Samuel. Thank you for confirming the state of drivers.

When you say "emulated devices work fine", is it as in they kinda work
?

Sorry. I ask this because I have my Debian GNU/Hurd setup, that at
times, just breaks apart during upgrades. Luckily, this time I do have
a snapshot of a working image, to which I can revert back to when
things break.

In today's upgrade, 2 observations I have that I'd like to share.

1) I'm using the rtl8139 network driver emulated with qemu. I fetched
some data (around 200 MiB) over the network from the host (Linux)
machine. The network speed I got was average 250 KiB/Sec

2) For the block driver, I'm still on IDE. I believe reading some
documentation from you that now SATA is supported. But the last time I
tried with SATA, things did not work that great. With IDE drives, a
common problem is I/O Throughput. But more than that, during (big)
upgrades, most of the times the file system or block translator hangs.
That leaves the user with no choice but to reset the VM, which then is
screwed up on next boot because then the file system is inconsistent
and mostly does not repair.

I haven't file bug reports because just taking a screenshot might not
be useful. How do you debug these issues ? Is there any hidden knob in
GNU/Hurd or Qemu that we can use to do a better root cause ?