Re: Debian Archive architecture removals

On 04/20/2015 01:49 PM, Svante Signell wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-04-20 at 12:50 +0200, Justus Winter wrote:
>> Quoting Joerg Jaspert (2015-04-20 00:22:08)
>
>> I for one am tired of this discussion popping up each Debian
>> release, and I only had to endure it twice now.  Let's ditch
>> Debian in favor of a less hostile downstream distribution.  I
>> guess Debian isn't quite the universal operating system it set
>> out to be, just merely another Linux distribution.
>
> Well, Hurd is welcome to Devuan if sufficiently many developers
> commit their time to it.

Really?! So Hurd actually has a sufficient number of developers
worldiwde?! And if Devuan is so welcome and Debian so hostile, more
power to them, I just don;t know what are you waiting here and
polluting our ML with toxic tone!

> As you might know, Devuan is a systemd-free distribution, currently
> based on Debian. But with time, when more and more Debian packages
> will be dependant on systemd, in a not so distant future, they will
> be considerably different. And kFreeBSD, also being systemd-free,
> might consider making the move too. I think getting rid of Hurd and
> kFreeBSD would make life easier for Debian to extinguish
> themselves, leaving only Lendows(tm) left as distribution by a very
> few vendors.

Just go away with that way of immature behavior. I for one am very
grateful of all work Samuel and Justus put on Hurd and although I am a
Linux user I have big sentimental feelings about Hurd. I don't know in
details what impact does arch removal have on port (does it loose
Debian infrastructure availability?) but Hurd is not there yet for
prime usage. Instead of trolling here, show some useful usecase of
Hurd, for example run a Mediagoblin instance if it's possible or host
a pad on it or host a website or whatever that can be seen as
immediate value. If you achieve that, please do blog about it and I'll
be your avid fan.

> However, in the long term Guix/Hurd will probably be the future.

If that becomes true I can then predict Debian Guix/Hurd.

And one more time - Samuel and Justus, thank you for all your hard
work on Hurd and I do hope Hurd stays inside Debian infrastructure and
that Hurd gains some traction in usage. And if there are cases where
Hurd can (or better yet **is**) used for something I mentioned above,
please do blog about it and I will be very happy to consider such
things in near future and even talk to people about it. I can't
express many thanks on your dedicated work but thank you, thank you,
thank you!

Cheers,

zlatan

- --