[draft] Debian/Hurd porters position in the default init system debate

Hi :)

we talked in #hurd about stating our position in the ongoing debate
about Debians default init system. Here is my draft.

~~~ snip ~~~

We, the Debian/Hurd porters and developers, like to state our position
in the current debate about the default init system for Debian.

1. Up to this day, Debian/Hurd has never used the current default init
system (sysvinit) but has relied on its own init and rc system.  We
are prepared to use a non-default init system in the future.

2. We are currently switching to sysvinit for Debian/Hurd.  All the
Hurd patches are in place, patches for the sysvinit package are
awaiting inclusion.

3. We ask that the current sysvinit-compatible init scripts are left
in place, so that we can use sysvinit in the future.

4. We acknowledge that there is a maintenance cost involved with
keeping the current init scripts.  We will help maintain them as part
of our porting effort.

5. We look forward to using OpenRC as incremental improvement.  OpenRC
complements sysvinit by replacing its rc component.  Work has started
to port OpenRC to Debian/Hurd and is progressing nicely.

~~~ snip ~~~

Justus