Re: GSoC task init system for Debian GNU/Hurd?

Quoting Thomas Schwinge (2013-04-18 11:42:02)
> :-) May want to look at my emails' User-Agent header.  (Or perhaps
> don't -- I haven't updated my notmuch installation in ages...)

I know, I've seen you around ;)

> > Well, what do you think? What do I have to do now? I already have a
> > google account, I believe the next step would be to login to google
> > melange and officially apply, right?
>
> Yes -- on next Monday, 22th, the student application period opens.  Your
> task then is to convince not only the Debian GNU/Hurd GSoC mentors,
> Samuel and Pino, but also the other Debian GSoC mentors that you're the
> right man for that task, and should be given a GSoC slot.  That is most
> effectively done by submitting a "strong" application.  We're happy to
> help with that, of course.

That is most appreciated, thanks. I've put my first draft into the wiki:

http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2013/StudentApplications/JustusWinter

There are still some TODOs in there, will work on that tomorrow. Also
I should probably talk about my methodology. I was thinking along the
lines of:

 * Read the docs/code of the current hurdish and linuxish scripts, try
   to map concepts (esp. filesystem & network stuff), look for
   unexpected hurdles.

 * Try to find a smooth (as in incremental patches) route to preserve
   whatever needs preserving from the Hurd init system.

 * Setup and document the test environment. I'm a big fan of automated
   package building and testing. I'm thinking about exploring a
   subhurd based test setup, probably also a qemu based one.

 * Hacking obviously ;)

 * Provide a deb repository for testing and evaluation.

 * If there's a need to tweak any packages, file bugs with patches and
   lobby for the inclusion of said patches. I suspect this might be
   actually the hardest part ;)

Any thoughts?
Justus