Re: GSoC task init system for Debian GNU/Hurd?

Hi!

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 14:06:45 +0200, Justus Winter <4winter@informatik.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
> Quoting Thomas Schwinge (2013-04-07 23:53:37)
> > IRC, OFTC, #debian-hurd, 2013-03-19:
> >
> >     <tschwinge> Do we have any suitable GSoC tasks for Debian GNU/Hurd?
> >     <youpi> ah well, there are the debian ifup/ifdown and rc.d
> >       integrations
> >     <pinotree> sysvinit, you mean, or just rc.d?
> >     <tschwinge> Oh right, the init system, that might be a suitable task.
> >     <youpi> sysvinit
> >
> > Do we agree that's a sensible task.  Just have to make sure the student
> > doesn't get the idea of directly going for systemd,
> > <http://darnassus.sceen.net/~hurd-web/open_issues/systemd/>.  ;-)
> >
> > Who can mentor and/or add the task to
> > <http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2013/Projects>?
>
> So this ended up in the wiki as 'Debian GNU/Hurd Debianish
> initialization' right?

Right.

> I'd like to apply for this task.

Great!  And yes, it sounds like you've got the right background for that
task.

> I'm involved in the notmuch project and trying to be a nice upstream
> project I made sure that notmuch builds on the Hurd.

:-) May want to look at my emails' User-Agent header.  (Or perhaps
don't -- I haven't updated my notmuch installation in ages...)

> Well, what do you think? What do I have to do now? I already have a
> google account, I believe the next step would be to login to google
> melange and officially apply, right?

Yes -- on next Monday, 22th, the student application period opens.  Your
task then is to convince not only the Debian GNU/Hurd GSoC mentors,
Samuel and Pino, but also the other Debian GSoC mentors that you're the
right man for that task, and should be given a GSoC slot.  That is most
effectively done by submitting a "strong" application.  We're happy to
help with that, of course.

Grüße,
 Thomas