Re: Performance of Hurd in a VM

On Fri, 2012-04-06 at 12:16 +0800, Malina Sulca wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I decided recently to try Hurd, and I thought it best to document it
> in a blog that you can find here:
> http://hurdbeginner.blogspot.com/
>
> So I installed it in a VM but the I/O is very slow. This is also the
> case for the pre-installed image that can be downloaded from here:
> http://people.debian.org/~sthibault/hurd-i386/debian-hurd.img.tar.gz
>
> How can I improve the overall performance level of the system to make
> it usable?

Are you sure kvm is enabled on your computer? This is a setting in the
BIOS, and the following modules should be loaded:
lsmod|grep kvm
kvm_intel              47257  3
kvm                   268970  1 kvm_intel

> I suppose there are no guest drivers as of yet, but maybe something
> can be improved in the configuration of some server?

You can try the following for the HDD parameters! Replace
-hda hurd-raw.img with
-drive cache=writeback,index=0,media=disk,file=hurd-raw.img
That might improve your IO performance.

> As a bonus, is it possible to increase the default size of the
> console? 80x25 feels a bit cramped.

I use port forwarding to get access to a terminal via ssh. Thereby I
also get the right keyboard, since the Hurd console only supports the US
keyboard right now: -net user,hostfwd=tcp::5556-:22

Connect from a host terminal via: ssh -p5556 localhost
(And of course you need sshd running on the guest)