Re: hurd-i386 qualification for Wheezy

Svante Signell, le Mon 21 May 2012 11:25:30 +0200, a écrit :
> On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 10:44 +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > > Which lack, more precisely?
> >
> > no usb = no keyboard (+other things, obviously)
> > no sata = pretty bad in 2012
> > no drm xorg drivers + no sound = also pretty bad.
>
> Well, currently GNU/Hurd works OK in a VM, like kvm.

More than that, it should with with any machine that is not recent,
i.e. IDE disk and network boards supported by linux 2.6.32.  I'm working
on an AHCI driver for SATA devices, but that can only work if I don't
have to spend my time on other issues.

> And don't forget that we are talking a tech preview, like kFreeBSD with
> Squeeze, not a full release.

Yes.  People tend to forget that some time ago, Linux itself had been
very bad at supporting not so recent hardware...  It's only now that it
is mainstream that it's a lot less a problem.

Samuel