Re: downtimed and start-stop-daemon.

tisdag den  3 april 2012 klockan 17:02 skrev Guillem Jover detta:
> On Tue, 2012-04-03 at 11:55:58 +0200, Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
> > A further investigation displays that the stop call using start-stop-daemon,
> > as implemented in the init-script, is also malfunctioning with GNU/Hurd.
> > It is the standard form
> >
> >   s-s-d --stop --quiet --retry=TERM/30/KILL/5 --pidfile $PID --name $NAME
> >
> > but it returns status 1 in spite of the executable running and the pid-file
> > being in existence with correct value. Does the problem seem familiar?
> > There is no functionality flaw with GNU/Linux or with GNU/kFreeBSD.
>
> Are you using dpkg 1.16.2, s-s-d --name has been bogus up to now on
> GNU/Hurd.

Yes, dpkg_1.16.2 is in use. I started with "debian-6.0-hurd-i386-CD-1.iso"
on March 24th, changed to track "wheezy/sid", with an upgrade as late as
today. The remarkable thing is that very early at boot time there is a
complaint that "chmod" is unable to work on a dangling link "/etc/motd".
The file is, however, available once login is possible.

More alarming is the fact that "/run/utmp" is never created, in spite
of repeated starts. I get the impression that "bootmisc.sh" is never
executed early in the boot chain. Comments?

Best regards,
  Mats E A