Re: Issuing "halt" locks up computer and working graphical browser (dillo)

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 03:17:58PM +0200, Thomas Schwinge wrote:

> It is also advisable to have a separate partition for $HOME/ etc.

Most importantly, I have a separate partition for /src, where I do all
big compilations...

(My /home is also separate, as it's NFS-mounted from another box.)

I must be excessively lucky, as I haven't had fatal FS corruption on
either the "/" or the "/src" partitions since I set this system up in
2004 or so.

> And do backups, of course.

I do now and then, and I actually needed them once or twice IIRC... Not
because of FS corruption, but because of broken system state after
unlucky upgrades.

> Which is especially easy if you're using QEMU (or similar), as you can
> just copy the whole disk image (when the system is not running).

Let me remind you that you can do just the same with real partitions on
real hardware... :-) Only difference is that you have to boot a
different system instance explicitly for this, while with a VM you
always have to host system running.

-antrik-