Re: Debian glibc symbol version stuff

Hi!

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 01:04:43 +0200, Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> wrote:
> Thomas Schwinge, le Tue 25 Oct 2011 00:56:24 +0200, a écrit :

> > > I don't think it does.
> >
> > Hmm, should it do so?  Or are you manually watching the glibc build
> > process for such changes, or how does this work?  (Or how should it
> > work?)
>
> IIRC the idea is that new symbols are not a problem.  Adding them can be
> overlooked, that'll just produce dependencies which could be less tight
> (by expressing when exactly the symbols were introduced)

OK, I see.  Not ideal, but good enough, yes.

> > > Why?
> >
> > (To restore the symbols.)
>
> Again, why? :)

This is one solution to the problem, but both of us don't prefer it, as
there is a better one:

> > > Then that's fine.
> >
> > ... but only guessing.  (Even if I strongly do believe so.)
>
> Then let's just check and be done with guesswork.

I did not know there was a straightforward/standardized way for doing
this.  How does this work?  Is there a tool to examine each packages' ELF
objects for certain undefined symbols?

Grüße,
 Thomas