Re: Debian glibc symbol version stuff

Thomas Schwinge, le Fri 21 Oct 2011 10:27:03 +0200, a écrit :
> > > If building with EGLIBC_PASSES=libc (more specifically, without xen)
> >
> > I don't use EGLIBC_PASSES, but it shouldn't matter either.
>
> During development, you build all flavors all the time?

No, I just run "make lib" in build/hurd-i386-libc/

> >       __dir_unlink@Base 2.11
> >       __exec_exec@Base 2.11
> >     + __exec_exec_file_name@Base 2.13-21+ts.0

Ah, do your changes add some RPCs?  Then that part is expected.  The
symbols stuff is precisely meant to catch such changes.

> >       __vm_statistics@Base 2.11
> >       __vm_wire@Base 2.11
> >       __vm_write@Base 2.11
> >     - __xxx_cpu_control@Base 2.11

I guess this is also due to changes?  Same answer: dropping symbols in a
lib is something of high importance that symbol lists help to catch.

> Now, the question is whether the RPC user stubs should get Debian symbol
> versioning at all, or if they're simply a best-effort thing?

Making them a best-effort would mean that some programs using them would
get broken when they are removed.  We don't really want that :)

Samuel