Patches and Upstream (was: Patch to fix FTBFS of pvm on GNU/Hurd)

Hi,

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 08:43:58AM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:

> One problem so far is how to write the patches to please the DMs. The
> comments you get varies. Sometimes it is easier to communicate with
> upstream.

Indeed, if an active upstream exists, and the best approach to take is
not obvious, it's best to talk to upstream directly -- after all,
ultimately it's them how will have to approve the patch anyways...

It's more tricky of course for packages without an upstream.

> it is frustrating to see how much of the very good time and effort
> people spend by writing patches, and then see them hanging in the BTS
> forever. Do you have any good solution to propose?

I'm not a Debian developer myself; but from I have gathered, an NMU is
appropriate in such cases...

> Maybe I should apply to be a DM myself or at least do the packaging
> and having a supporting DM as uploader.

That would definitely make things easier -- especially regarding NMUs
:-)

-antrik-