Re: Patch to fix FTBFS of pvm on GNU/Hurd

Svante Signell, le Wed 11 May 2011 08:43:58 +0200, a écrit :
> However, I don't know if there exists an active upstream for this
> package.

Most probably not. PVM is pretty much dead as a communication protocol:
the EuroPVM/MPI conference (at last!) got renamed to EuroMPI for instance.

> Yes, I know, but it is frustrating to see how much of the very good time
> and effort people spend by writing patches, and then see them hanging in
> the BTS forever. Do you have any good solution to propose?

Talk with upstream, indeed.

> I have had better experiences with upstream than DMs so far. But
> packaging of the upstream versions does not seem to happen too fast
> either, not even for sid and wheezy is still far away.

When upstream has applied a patch, you can ask DMs to cherry-pick.
They're much more keen on applying upstream patches since they'll get
the change by next release anyway.

> Maybe I should apply to be a DM myself or at least do the packaging
> and having a supporting DM as uploader.

Don't hesitate to.  In the particular case of PVM, I'd say a Debian-only
patch could be uploaded via a NMU without getting anybody angry.

Samuel