Re: vmware+grub+Xorg Re: [Fwd: Some qemu+hurd questions]

On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 02:18 +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Svante Signell, le Wed 10 Nov 2010 12:09:21 +0100, a écrit :
> > Update: Starting X (as root) hangs:
> > qemu -m 256 -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user,hostfwd=tcp::5555-:22 -hda
> > hurd-install.qemu -vga vmware
> >
> > Terminal output: vmsvga_value_write: guest runs Linux.
> >
> > Hangs with a black screen and a blinking mouse pointer!
>
> How do you start X? Just X or startx?

Normally I use xinit:
xinit /usr/bin/{wmaker,xterm}
or startx
.xinitrc
#! /bin/sh
exec wmaker

> > The pointer is a
> > strange large blinking square visible when moving the pointer to the
> > Qemu window edge.
>
> I've seen odd glitches with the vmware driver, yes. Unfortunately
> the latest version of the vmware driver doesn't build (depends on
> non-available libdrm). Somebody might want to have a look at building
> xserver-xorg-video-vmware without the drm dependency.

I have now managed to run the vmware driver successfully both in qemu
(Pentium 4 3GHz) and qemu-kvm (Quad CPU 2.4GHz) and setting
resolutions with xrandr. Modes 1024x768 and 1280x1024 works well.
The solution was to turn off the hardware cursor:
Section "Device"
  Identifier "Configured Video Device"
  Option "HWCursor" "off"
EndSection

Additionally, running X as user one needs to enable <C>-<A>-<BS> to exit
the X server since xinit is not allowed to kill X when running as user
according to Samuel.

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
   Driver "kbd"
   Option "XkbRules"   "xorg"
# Errors out if this is enabled!
#   Option "XkbModel    "pc105"
   Option "XkbLayout"  "se"
   Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
 EndSection

Setting the 1024x768 mode (and enabling exit of X with <C>-<A>-<BS>)
in .xinitrc
#! /bin/bash
xrandr -s 1024x768 &
#setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp&
exec wmaker

The only remaining problem is that the hurd console is not restored when
exiting X (both root and user).
A workaround is to:
- Click on the qemu window to grab mouse.
- <C><A><BS> to exit from Hurd console.
- Running ./hurd-console again gets back to the previous state in the
hurd console!

> > The big problem is that I now cannot get out of the
> > mouse grab with <ctrl><alt>
>
> Uh, that'd be a qemu bug then.

Where to report, Debian or to qemu developers?

Svante