Re: [Fwd: Some qemu+hurd questions]

On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 01:39 +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Samuel Thibault, le Wed 03 Nov 2010 01:05:34 +0100, a écrit :
> > > How to
> > > get X running with or without curses in a terminal with a reasonable
> > > resolution, like 1280x1024x16. The qemu man page says one should use -vga
> > > std to be able to use larger resolutions. How?
> >
> > By running -vga std, and then try to run Xorg, see whether it just
> > already uses a good resolution, else configure it, etc.
>
> Actually I've just tried it: it's awfully slow and does not support DDE
> so that Xorg doesn't dare more than 800x600. You should probably rather
> let qemu use the default cirrus, or better, use -vga vmware and install
> xserver-xorg-video-vmware, that works for me, and xrandr can be used to
> resize at will.

I will try later on using your findings.

> Samuel, still wondering why people insist on running a graphical desktop
> on Debian GNU/Hurd although that'll just look exactly like a Debian
> GNU/Linux graphical desktop.

Well, with only one console available in Hurd compared to Linux seven
virtual consoles how are you suspected to be able to do any serious
development work? Add to that the Hurd console under qemu does not
support scrolling or my keyboard. I hope to be able to have at least
one native window with an editor running, preferably Emacs, and doing
a compilation in another window. Can you solve this without X?
How do you develop mainstream and Debian Hurd, do you cross-compile?

Thanks for your prompt answers. maybe I'll try a little more under qemu.
Running Hurd stand-alone is not an option. Until Hurd is mature enough I
need the other stuff available in GNU/Linux for day-to-day work. At work
I was running Windows XP with vmware with Linux hos a few years ago
without problems. It would be nice to run Hurd and Windows 7 the same
way, avoiding the dual/triple boot option.