Re: [Fwd: Some qemu+hurd questions]

On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 22:55 +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Svante Signell, le Mon 01 Nov 2010 22:39:50 +0100, a écrit :
> > On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 17:34 +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > > Like Linux, Mach tries to use as much memory as possible to avoid Disk
> > > I/O.
> >
> > OK, seems like I need more memory.
>
> What makes you think so?  qemu CPU emulation is _really_ slow compared
> to native execution (even if q of qemu means quick, i.e. quicker than
> e.g. bochs).

Its just that all (512 MB) memory is used when running the Gnome
desktop together with Hurd under qemu, and there is some swapping to
disk going on.

> > > Yes, you can use the -curses option to use text mode.
> >
> > In gnome-terminal -curses did not work! I did not get any echo of the
> > commands written :(
>
> Make sure your terminal is 80x25, not 80x24.

Is this a QEMU bug? How should I know that I need 25 rows instead of 24?

> > However, starting qemu from xterm -sb -rightbar seems to work.
> > No graphical keys, like C-A-n etc commands worked!
>
> Not really surprising, as they'll be eaten by X11 or the window manager
> before being passed to qemu via the xterm tty. You can give a try to the
> vnc way that Arne mentioned in another mail.

Looks like I cannot run qemu in a window under X then with curses
enabled?

At least my keyboard is properly mapped with curses under X. One problem
is still that when doing shutdown in the qemu window (same as the
terminal window), the gnome/xterm window is unusable. How to get back to
the terminal?

> > > As said by somebody else, it doesn't. You should however try to compile
> > > the kqemu module, which accelerates emulation without special hardware
> > > support.

OK; looks like kvm is not usable for this box. However, I have it
installed on another box, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.40GHz.
Works with good speed there. This box also has 4G of memory. Currently
trying to get X running on that box. More questions later.

> > Where to find kqemu? Did not find it in Debian.
>
> It is there in Lenny at least.

No longer available in squeeze.

> > > It's a bit short on memory if you want to use Linux as a desktop with
> > > e.g. run OpenOffice.org etc.
> >
> > OK, need to get more memory then. Got some speedup with:
> > -smp cores=2
>
> Err, GNU Mach is not able to use several CPUs, so it should be useless
> to add more cores...

OK, maybe an erroneous conclusion from my side. I thought qemu could use
the two logical processors in the box, obviously not.

> > Miscellanous:
> > - Spurious output: kd_setleds1: unexpected state (1)
>
> It's not spurious actually, there's something to fix there.  But since
> it's being reported again and again, I've just hidden the warning behind
> #ifdef MACH_KDB.

OK

> > - Complaints at boot on /etc/motd being a dangling symlink, however:
> > ls -l /etc/motd
> > lrwxr-xr-x 1 root root 13 Oct 28 00:11 /etc/motd -> /var/run/motd
>
> Probably a missing /var/run/motd generation in the init scripts, but
> that'll be fixed by making Debian GNU/Hurd use Debian's usual SYSV
> runlevel system.

Looking forward to that improvement.

Other questions:
- How to change resolution in qemu, with -vga cirrus, std, etc?
Especially when running X in a window later on.
- How do the graphical and non-graphic modes work? Maybe tythis is a
qemu question, that should be addressed to their mailing lists.
- More questions later on when all boot messages can be read (with
scrolling and correct keyboard mapping).

Thanks,
Svante