Re: messagebus and haldaemon users in baseGNU.tgz

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> Hi Charles,
>
> I'm not sure if I should report bugs in baseGNU.tgz to you, but since
>  this affects your L1 images (thanks for providing them!) I'll tell you
>  about them... please forward as necessary or let me know where to
>  report them if I should do so.
>
> The problem is that /etc/passwd in baseGNU.tgz has entries for
>  messagebus and haldaemon, but /etc/group doesn't. This means when you
>  install hal and dbus, when it executes in the postinst
>     adduser --system --group "$user"
> it doesn't create the user because it already exists, but it doesn't
>  create the system group either. Then dbus can't be installed because
>  it tries to chown something to the busmessage group, and hal failed to
>  configure for me because the group didn't exist and so when hald tried
>  to daemonize the child exited.

Emilio,
          I must take some responsibility for this.

Passwd was very broken when I built the L1 images, so I used a very nasty
hack to get something working.  The hack has shown itsself to be far from
perfect.

I have not checked, but I expect that passwd has been fixed.

Thanks for the feedback.

Phil.

   +64 3 488 2818        Fax +64 3 488 2875        Mobile 027 663 4453
   philipc@copyleft.co.nz - personal.    info@copyleft.co.nz - business