Re: K16 CD Install woes - RFH

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 06:59:00PM +0200, Ivan Warren wrote:
> First tried using the web page instruction at
> http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-cd - which instructs me to create
> a grub floppy.. I fetched the 'grub-disk' package (on another debian
> system) but this is now a dummy package and it triggers the installation
> of grub-rescue-pc (and I am not sure the GRUB images carried by this
> package are what I really want)... Anyway, booting the grub 'rescue'
> floppy puts me on a bare grub prompt..

Debian testing/unstable now uses Grub2 as rescue disk, so grub-disk is
an empty dummy package for the Grub2 version, which "conveniently" drops
you into a Grub> prompt, right.

You can try to grab a grub-disk 0.97-28 or earlier from Debian stable or
http://snapshot.debian.net

> So I looked at the 'cookbook' on the K16 CD.. Which makes reference to a
> (I am guessing - especially doctored) GRUB image with the finely
> tailored grub scripts.. However, it makes mention to a '/install'
> directory on the CD-ROM which.. I can't find anywhere..

Sorry, no idea about that.

> Apparently, it is quite important to be able to get hold of that item
> since this is what the installation process seems to rely on to perform
> its first few reboots (I assume the grub MBR will eventually get
> installed on the hard drive - pointing to the correct and final grub
> script).

Yes indeed.  However, there are a couple of other grub disks/ISOs
floating around on the net, they just don't have a nice menu, so you
will have to enter the canonical GNU/Hurd Grub commands manually for the
first few times.

Michael