K16 CD Install woes - RFH

Crowd,

Just out of curiosity (I must admit), I am trying to get acquainted with the GNU/HURD system.

Therefore, I naturally tried to follow the various instructions found here and there on how to achieve that goal.

Unfortunately, I have tumbled upon a certain number of problems.. I tried to find solutions by myself but I am a bit stuck at this point.

I first tried the cross install method (such as described at http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install) - but besides the fact it is a bit cumbersome (having to install a gnu/linux system first JUST to do some partitioning and expand a tarball) - the boot itself wouldn't complete (I can briefly see a 'trap - Panic' during the initial HURD boot - before the system reboots)..

Ok.. Since I was not very confident with this route, I decided I'd try the debian/hurd K16 CD.. I went ahead, downloaded the minimal CD and started reading the instructions.

First tried using the web page instruction at http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-cd - which instructs me to create a grub floppy.. I fetched the 'grub-disk' package (on another debian system) but this is now a dummy package and it triggers the installation of grub-rescue-pc (and I am not sure the GRUB images carried by this package are what I really want)... Anyway, booting the grub 'rescue' floppy puts me on a bare grub prompt..

So I looked at the 'cookbook' on the K16 CD.. Which makes reference to a (I am guessing - especially doctored) GRUB image with the finely tailored grub scripts.. However, it makes mention to a '/install' directory on the CD-ROM which.. I can't find anywhere..

Apparently, it is quite important to be able to get hold of that item since this is what the installation process seems to rely on to perform its first few reboots (I assume the grub MBR will eventually get installed on the hard drive - pointing to the correct and final grub script).

My apologies if this is a bit out of touch.. I am fairly new to hurd (and to any microkernel based system for that matter) - so I might have misunderstood something while reading the various instruction manuals.

But basically.. yeah.. any help would be appreciated ! (no urgency - again - this is out of curiosity)..

--Ivan