Re: Participation in Google SoC

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 05:02:40PM +0100, olafBuddenhagen@gmx.net wrote:
> But even that is problematic. It will most likely work for simple cases,
> where there are no conflicts and no postinstall scripts. But what to do
> about the other cases? Executing the postinstall scripts is out of the
> question -- it would totally break the stateless package management
> approach we want to have in the GNU system. Without the scripts, many
> packages won't work properly...

Incidently, PackageKit forbids installation scripts...

There might even be a stow backend for PackageKit already, I didn't
check.

Probably one can assume that all major GNU programs, plus probably all GNOME
programs (for keeping things simple) won't need configuration by the
admin at install time.

Michael