Re: Please test debootstrap

Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> the latest debootstrap upload (1.0.2) should (in theory) work fine on
> hurd-i386 now, at least to build chroots.  So if people want to check
> that out and report problems (to this list), that'd be nice.

It worked well. Not flawlessly, but it created a system I can boot into
(which I did, to check). I didn't try to install grub but I expect it
would fail with the same problem I had installing it in the host the
other day.

The host system is qemu-i386. I created a 2nd hard drive to install
onto. Approx. 1GB mounted on /dbst. Linux was not involved at all.

The tail end of debootstrap.log is:

 netbase
 tasksel
 tasksel-data
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of netbase:
 netbase depends on ifupdown (>= 0.6.4-4.9); however:
  Package ifupdown is not installed.
dpkg: error processing netbase (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of tasksel:
 tasksel depends on aptitude (>= 0.2.15-1); however:
  Package aptitude is not installed.
dpkg: error processing tasksel (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of tasksel-data:
 tasksel-data depends on tasksel; however:
  Package tasksel is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing tasksel-data (--configure):

Which is obviously a problem but not a show stopper.

The log is at http://knight.monnsta.net/~mking/debootstrap.log. I saved
the output from running the command, too, at
http://knight.monnsta.net/~mking/debout.log but it appears to just be
the non-verbose version of the log.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely