Re: Please test debootstrap

Hello!

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 13:44:20 +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> the latest debootstrap upload (1.0.2) should (in theory) work fine
> on hurd-i386 now, at least to build chroots.  So if people want to
> check that out and report problems (to this list), that'd be nice.

I took it as the possibility to re-install Hurd :-)

About my test, since my laptop [1] isn't fully supported, I plan to
use Hurd on QEmu and thus I created a 4G qemu-img.  I booted QEmu
through the Debian Sarge debian-31r6a-i386-binary-1.iso [2], created
one big partition for / via d-i and then in a console created the ext2
filesystem as explained at [3].  The debootstrap process finished
successfully, but debootsrap.log contains an error:

  /usr/lib/debootstrap/functions: line 838: /bin/settrans: \
    No such file or directory

Debootstrapping in a i386 sid chroot on the same amd64 sid gave the
same error and the same segfault :-(

As I cannot chroot in it because I'm on an amd64 sid, I tested it
directly on QEmu, with the grub-disk image from etch [4].  The boot is
OK, but it stops at:

  Hurd server bootstrap: ext2fs.static[device:hd0s1] execext2fs.static
  /build/mblank/hurd-20070606/built-tree/hurd/libdiskfs/boot-start.c:396:
  diskfs_execboot_fsys_startup: Unexpected error: No such file or
  directory

Sorry, I haven't had time yet to investigate the QEmu error.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Footnotes:
[1] http://luca.pca.it/projects/ibm/x60_1706-gmg/
[2] my laptop has 2G RAM, so 1G in QEmu is enough for Hurd
[3] http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install
[4] the one in sid depedns on grub-rescue-pc (from grub2), which lacks
    the default menu entries