Re: K16 images - uploading

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 06:13:10PM +0100, olafBuddenhagen@gmx.net wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 02:05:03PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
>
> > Would it make the life of whoever will do K17 much better if we only
> > shipped a mini-ISO and maybe a first CD?
>
> My mini-ISO, you mean one that contains all the standard packages
> installed by default, or a netinstall-CD that downloads stuff from the
> network? If it's the latter, this is not very useful, as it regularily
> breaks due to missing, incompatible, or broken packages in the
> archive... We need stable installation images with a set of known
> working packages.

Well, ideally we need somebody to run and manage a testing installation.

The second best are stable installation images with a set of known
working packages, but that is quite some work as well (as was just shown
by Philip).

I think a mini-ISO which includes the packages installed by default
(i.e. base or whatever you want that to be) is useful.  Sure, apt-get
install foo afterwards might not work, but so is life in unstable.

Michael