Re: Debian/Hurd on VMWare Server

On 6/10/06, Geoffrey Alan Washburn <geoffw@cis.upenn.edu> wrote:
        Is that supposed to be before or after I get GNU/Hurd booted.  I
couldn't find aptitude or apt-get on the installation CD.  I was able to
find a floppy image of some kind online, but I haven't been successful
in installing it to hard drive using the floppy image.  Maybe once I get
the network figured out I might be able to use apt-get to grab grub-disk.

Well, if I had understand your question you are looking to boot Debian GNU/Hurd just after install it. Currently the "hurd-installer" dont install GRUB, wich is needed to boot the system propely. So, you will need to get one Debian GNU/Linux machine and then use aptitude or apt-get to download grub-disk package. With floppy images on the hand you will be able to boot up Debian GNU/Hurd.

Full detailed information about the currently installation method can be found here [1].

        I'd have to say that Hurd really needs to be easier to install if it is
going to gain traction against Linux.

Sure, currently I'm working on port debian-installer to Hurd. Hopefuly to get it working perfectly in the end of this summer.

[1] - http://www.us.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install

Thanks,

Matheus Morais