Re: Debian/Hurd on VMWare Server

Matheus Morais wrote:
On 6/8/06, *Geoffrey Alan Washburn* <geoffw@cis.upenn.edu <mailto:geoffw@cis.upenn.edu>> wrote:

            Does anyone have any notes on installing the latest
    Debian/Hurd on
    VMWare Server?  I get through the install process just fine, but then
    upon reboot it just hangs after the "BIOS" stuff.

This happen because you dont have GRUB installed. You can download 'grub-disk' package using aptitude to get the floppy images and then boot your Debian GNU/Hurd on VMWare.

Is that supposed to be before or after I get GNU/Hurd booted. I couldn't find aptitude or apt-get on the installation CD. I was able to find a floppy image of some kind online, but I haven't been successful in installing it to hard drive using the floppy image. Maybe once I get the network figured out I might be able to use apt-get to grab grub-disk.

I'd have to say that Hurd really needs to be easier to install if it is going to gain traction against Linux.