Re: FHS compliance

   But they are binaries that make the system work, so they would fit
   in /sbin:

This is a useless way of arguing, ld.so.1 is a "binary
that make the system work", so is libc.so, and all files in /lib.

   As I don't have (yet) a working Hurd system on one of my machines,
   could someone list me the content of a typical /hurd?

Translators are in that directory, you cannot start them (in most
cases) by just typing /hurd/TRANSLATOR.  The only useles options to
them is --help/--version.  Hence, they do not belong in /sbin or /bin.