Re: Problems building K8 / L1 CDs

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Neal H. Walfield wrote:

> > I am getting errors with the trial build of the K8 set which was built
> > using the latest archives.
> >
> > These messages were copied by hand.
> >
> > When booting.
> >
> > hd0: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveRady SeekCompleteError }
> > hd0: dma_intr: error 0x84 { BadCRC DriveStatusError }
> > 	LBAsect=4054335, sector=114440
> > (This is repeated for a number of sectors.)
>
> This is a Mach message and it seems to suggest that you might have a
> bad drive.

A bad section of the drive as it turns out.  Another drive plugged in and
problem solved.  Thanks.

> > After the installation, in multi user mode and logged in as root.
> >
> > # nano
> > No such file or directory.
> >
> > # /usr/bin/nano
> > Too many syslinks (or something similar).
>
> This is a known problem with a recent version of Debian's nano
> package.  What happens is that nano installs itself in /bin/nano and
> makes a symlink from /usr/bin/nano to /bin/nano using the -f option to
> ln.  Since you have a /usr -> . symlink, nano is overwritten with a
> symlink that resolves to itself.  I don't know if the Debian guys have
> fixed this.

Checked this out aaahg.  Another editor will be installed

> > None of this happens with K7
>
> I am not clean on the scope of this comment.  Does it only apply to
> the nano problem or are you not seeing the dma_intr messages with a
> different Mach?

Everything worked as it should with K7.  The HDD must have started to play
up since then.  The HD was used for K7's final testing.

> > Working on the assumption that this problem has something to do with the
> > new mke2fs. The 1-2 gig limit has gone.
> >
> > An attempt was made to create a Hurd fs on a new partition using
> > mkfs -b 4096 -o hurd /dev/hd0s1 from the new GNU installation
> >
> > # mkfs -b 4096 -o hurd /dev/hd0s1
> > Debugger invoked, but there isn't one.
> > (panic and reboot)
>
> Maybe mke2fs wasn't compiled with large file support (which it needs
> if it is to work with files larger than 2GB).

I have a 5 GB Hurd partition behaving itself.  It was formatted with mk2fs
from the K boot system which was built in Sept 2002.  Interesting.  It
seems that GNU's mkfs can't format correctly.

Thanks folks.  Back to hunting down the other problems.

Phil.

  I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs & DVDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz