Re: K7 discs

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Michael Banck wrote:

I looked at rebuilding the tarball last night using gnuab.

> Yeah, we have updated X (on gnuab), a fixed (WRT start-stop-daemon,
> thanks to Ogi) dpkg (on gnuab) and a fixed glibc (tzconfig bug) (in
> incoming.debian.org).

dpkg seems OK.  tzconfig working properly.

> I'd say we let things settle down for a couple of days and test the
> current state. Then, I think it makes a lot of sense to release new CDs.

Sounds good.

> If you want, I have built XFCE4 for some eye candy (against the old
> xlibs though) at http://people.debian.org/~mbanck/hurd/. I'm not sure
> whether they still work with the new X packages, but I guess so (also, I
> don't know what other window-managers of X apps we have besides TWM and
> xterm) You might want to pull the updated (built against new X) gtk+2.0
> from the above link as well.

fvwm and fvwm95 build into the CDs.

> I'm currently working on getting the necessary changes into the xfree86
> package, but this might take a while, I don't think it's necessary to
> wait on that. Jeff and I agreed to start the Hurd console by default on
> bootup, but we are not quite there yet and Jeff went on vacation for a
> couple of days.
>
> There is a problem with the current hurd package (/libexec/rc not being
> executable), I might NMU the hurd package to fix that, I think that
> should go into K7 as well (the fix is easy, but it breaks bootup and
> drops you into single-user mode).

The console is broken.  So hurd is the culprit, not ncurses.  The tarball
is useless as a result.

Phil.

  I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs & DVDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz