Re: K7 discs

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 07:43:30PM +1200, Philip Charles wrote:
> I woke up to find that the latest xfree had been downloaded.  A quick
> check shows that it should build into the CDs.  We are now into the
> seventh disc.

Yeah, we have updated X (on gnuab), a fixed (WRT start-stop-daemon,
thanks to Ogi) dpkg (on gnuab) and a fixed glibc (tzconfig bug) (in
incoming.debian.org).

> I retire again (third time?) towards the end of the month and will be able
> to get down to some real work.  I hope to get the K7 mini-iso and
> associated tarball completed before then.

I'd say we let things settle down for a couple of days and test the
current state. Then, I think it makes a lot of sense to release new CDs.

If you want, I have built XFCE4 for some eye candy (against the old
xlibs though) at http://people.debian.org/~mbanck/hurd/. I'm not sure
whether they still work with the new X packages, but I guess so (also, I
don't know what other window-managers of X apps we have besides TWM and
xterm) You might want to pull the updated (built against new X) gtk+2.0
from the above link as well.

I'm currently working on getting the necessary changes into the xfree86
package, but this might take a while, I don't think it's necessary to
wait on that. Jeff and I agreed to start the Hurd console by default on
bootup, but we are not quite there yet and Jeff went on vacation for a
couple of days.

There is a problem with the current hurd package (/libexec/rc not being
executable), I might NMU the hurd package to fix that, I think that
should go into K7 as well (the fix is easy, but it breaks bootup and
drops you into single-user mode).

Michael